Umm…this is amazing. Serve this at a Christmas Party this season and you are sure to be a hit. The preparation is minimal but it does need to chill overnight so make sure you plan ahead.
- Preparation: 20-30 minutes
- Chill: overnight
- Yield: 6 servings
- 280 grams (10 oz) of high-quality bittersweet chocolate, finely chopped.
- 8 large room temperature eggs, separated.
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of Parthena Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Frangelico (optional)
- Grated zest of 1 small orange (optional)
- 1/4 tsp Parthena Mediterranian Sea Salt
- Using a double-boiler, melt the chocolate.
- Place the egg yolks & 1/2 cup of sugar in a medium-sized bowl and whisk until it reaches a pale yellow colour.
- Whisk in the olive oil, Frangelico, and orange zest if using.
- Combine with the melted chocolate and whisk until blended smoothly.
- In a separate bowl, mix the egg whites with a hand or stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Slowly sprinkle in the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and beat until you have stiff peaks.
- Add a heaping spoon full of the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture.
- Stir gently until completely mixed.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl with the egg whites.
- Fold gently using a large spoon or spatula until completely combined.
- Divide the mousse into six cups (martini glasses work great), and cover with plastic wrap and leave to chill in the fridge overnight.
Garnish this delicious mousse with pistachios, candy cane pieces, whipped cream, or fruit. Enjoy!