Umm…this is amazing. Serve this at a Christmas Party this season and you are sure to be a hit. The preparation is minimal but it does need to chill overnight so make sure you plan ahead.
- Preparation: 20-30 minutes
- Chill: overnight
- Yield: 6 servings
- 280 grams (10 oz) of a high quality bittersweet chocolate. Finely chopped.
- 8 large eggs, separated and warmed to room temperature.
- 3/4 cup of white sugar
- 1/2 cup of Parthena Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 tsp of Frangelico (optional)
- Grated zest of 1 small orange (optional)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Using a double broiler melt chocolate.
- Place the egg yolks & 1/2 cup of sugar in a medium sized bowl and whisk until it reaches a pale yellow color.
- Whisk in the olive oil, Frangelico and zest if using.
- Combine with the melted chocolate and whisk until blended smoothly.
- In a separate bowl mix the eggs whiles with a hand or stand mixer until soft peaks form.
- Slowly sprinkle in the remaining 1/4 cup of sugar and beat until you have stiff peaks.
- Add a heaping spoon full of the egg mixture to the chocolate mixture.
- stir firmly until completely mixed.
- Pour the chocolate mixture into the bowl with the egg whites.
- Fold gently using a large spoon or spatula until completely combines.
- Divide the mousse into six cups (martini glasses work great) cover with plastic wrap and leave to chill in fridge overnight!
Sprinkle with pistachios, candy cane, whipping cream or fruit. Really whatever you desire! Enjoy!